1. By the sun and its brightness
2. And [by] the moon when it follows it
3. And [by] the day when it displays it
4. And [by] the night when it covers [i.e., conceals] it
5. And [by] the sky and He who constructed it
6. And [by] the earth and He who spread it
7. And [by] the soul and He who proportioned it
8. And inspired it [with discernment of] its wickedness and its righteousness,
9. He has succeeded who purifies it,
10. And he has failed who instills it [with corruption].
11. Thamud denied [their prophet] by reason of their transgression,
12. When the most wretched of them was sent forth.
13. And the messenger of Allah [i.e., Salih] said to them, “[Do not harm] the she-camel of Allah or [prevent her from] her drink.”
14. But they denied him and hamstrung her. So their Lord brought down upon them destruction for their sin and made it equal [upon all of them].
15. And He does not fear the consequence thereof.